Sunday, April 20, 2008

A new calling.

Four months. Four months of spotty attendance, not making it to sacrament meeting and if I am there - I am sitting in the lobby chasing two kids. Four months of not saying much during class time. Today, whist I am sitting in the lobby with my kids a counselor in the bishopbric came up to us and asked if it was ok to meet w/ us after Sacrament. This is NEVER a good sign. D, is all "I know something you don't know!" "What?" He said they want to talk to me. I am thinking for sure a teaching calling. That's pretty much all I've had since I turned 18. Though, my last calling was enrichment committee. Not bad, little effort involved, so I was thinking Relief Society. So, I ask D for clues. He said it's not teaching. Hmm... makes sense really. If it was that, they wouldn't need to consult my husband first. So, I ran down the list of possibility. "Relief Society?" "Nope", "Young Womens?" "Nope", "Primary?" "I'm not telling!" BINGO! So, ok, it's not teaching, and I don't do music time, since I can't play the piano, nor is there ANYWAY I would be able to get 50 kids to sing, so chorister is OUT. That leaves 1 of 3 jobs. Any of which would require advance permission from my husband. Primary President or one of her counselors. So, after the meeting D and I drop the kids off in their classes and we walk to the bishopbrics office. The 2nd counselor met us, and after the idle chit chat, dropped the bomb! First counselor in the Primary Presidency!

I am not one to turn down who will turn down a calling w/o a good reason, and I didn't. But, I can't help but wonder "WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?" I worry that Naomi is going to act out. Every time I visit her in class, she acts crazy, and from what I've been told, she only does that when I am there. Then there is Sariah. I CANNOT go in her class room and expect to walkout w/o her. It won't happen. If I am there, that means it's time to go home. I hope this will be ok w/ everyone. It's not fair to leave a screaming child in a small room with 8 or so other children.

Then there is me being selfish. I LOVE Sunday School. I love reading and studying the scriptures. I guess I had a good run for 2 yrs, where I didn't have other oligations during class time, but that doesn't mean I actually got to enjoy the class. My dear, sweet Sariah - always wanted to eat during class, and when she got mobile, she refused to stay. She figured that 50 mins of Relief Society was long enough, and it was time to leave. So I spent the next 50 mins wandering the halls w/ her. It wasn't until this past November that she could go to her class. This left 5 months before Sariah was born and 5 months after she was old enough for the nursery that I got to enjoy Sunday School. One of these years, I'd actually like to be able to listen to the ENTIRE cirriculum - which means no callings during class time for one whole year. I am done having kids, so wandering the halls is no longer an issue.

Next week it's offically announced and we'll have to see how this goes. I don't know why the bishop and the Primary President thinks I am a good fit for this. I guess time will tell.


2 comments:

Donna & Ellie said...

CONGRATULATIONS! It's a huge compliment and I hope you know that :)

Farmer Mama said...

lol, I just got enrichment commitee! I was quite happy with that:)