Today my baby celebrated her second birthday. I can't believe it's been two years. She's grown up so much since then, and has become such a beauty.
This is her birthstory that I wrote 2 yrs ago.
Our little girl has arrived - only one day late - On May 18th at 3:31 PM She came in weighing 8 lbs 3 ozs and is 20 1/2 ins long. She's got a thick head of beautiful brown hair with blond highlights. The nurses said it looks like she had her hair done before arriving. Everyone is doing well, though not the most positive of L&D stories.
One Tuesday at my 40 wk appt my doctor told me that I was 80% effaced and 3 cms dialated. She gave me 2 options waiting it out or get myself on the schedule for an induction on Thursday. My precious induction went very well, and I really didn't want to still be pregnant over the weekend so I choose the induction. This later proved to be a very wise choice. Late Wednesday evening/night I started having a lot of contractions that went regular - ie every 10 mins at 12:30 AM on Thursday. After an hour I called my Doctor who told me to go in, that I wouldn't be checking out w/o my baby. So we went in, and they monitored me for an hour, and even though I was having regular contractions less than 10 mins apart (some were right on top of each other while others were about 10 mins apart) They told me that since I didn't progress, I was still just 3 cms, that 3 women just came in further along than I was and they didn't have the staff, they were sending me home. They also didn't think they'd be able to get me in at 7:30 for my scheduled induction, but to call at 7am to see. But they said if my water breaks between now and then or if my contractions were longer and closer together to come in. I told the nurse that I wasn't going to get those "so called" contractions until I was about 8 cms. She looked at me like I didn't know what I was talking about. This is baby #2 and I am going by my first delivery. (Oh, and going by their little monitor, I didn't come close this time around either until I was about 8 cms.) So, I went home for 2 hours, called at 7 and they told me to come in. My doctor was mad they sent me home, aparently they weren't sure they were going to have me come in, but my doctor pushed the issue because she wanted me started on Antibiotics for my GBS. At 8:30 I was 4 cms when she came in and was baffled that I hadn't got my IV in yet. The nurse actually lied to my doctor and told her I didn't get there until 8am. Even though she called at 7:30 and they told her I had just gone to my room. My doctor didn't want to break my water until I had my first dose, so she had to get one of the other doctors in her group to come in later to break my water. For an hour the nurse kept wanting me to lie in this painful position so that we didn't loose the heart monitor. This was after she told me I could lie however I needed to to be comfortable. At 9:30 I got my Epi, though he had a hard time finding the right spot, so getting that done was actually very painful. At 11:30 the other doctor came in to break my water, I was still at 4 cms, and my water was tainted with mecconium (sp?) At one point the Epi failed on my left side and had to get the doseage upped. About 2:30 I was at a 10 and just a little short of being 100% effaced. So they called in my doctor, when I was fulled effaced the baby was still pretty high up, so I pushed through one contraction to bring her down. Then after pushing through 2 more contractions I was holding my baby. Even though it was only 15 hours from my first regular contraction to holding my baby, I hadn't slept in like 36 hrs and I hadn't eaten in 20. I am convinced that if I wasn't scheduled to be induced that either I wouldn't have had enough time for 2 doses of antibiotics or I would have been film at 11, "Women gives birth enroute to hospital"
When I brought her home, we discovered that she was going to be our baby vampire. When we would go in and check on her, she'd pull her blanket over her eyes to shield them from the light in the dining room.
She figured movement out far more quickly than any parent would prefer. In our last place we had hardwood floors and she discovered that she could pull herself and slide across the floor at 5 mos, and began cruising at 6 mos. She was, and still is, my little dare devil. Completely fearless. It was no surprise that she was walking on her own at 10 1/2 mos.
As soon as she was mobile she was an instant playmate for her sister. And, like sisters are, one minute they are laughing and giggling, while the next minute they are fighting. But, they truly love each other and I am so glad I had two girls pretty close in age.
The second year we worked on getting her to talk more, but she took little interest in talking. Just a few words to get her point across. It took a year, but she's talking so much more now, like she was figuring out the whole language out and started talking in complete sentences.
Like her sister books are her passion. Currently she's into bones. She thinks her sisters anatomy book is hers, and her favorite part is the skeleton. She is also obsessed about the moon. Orthopedic specialist on the moon perhaps?
I look forward to seeing what the next year brings.
Sunday, May 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








2 comments:
I love the birth story. You are seriously a natural writer with a great 'voice'. Have you ever considered writing as more than a hobby? Love ya :)
Great story. I love reading birth stories! I can't believe it has already been two years. Time flies! I like the slide show! She is such a cutie!
Post a Comment