Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Diary of a Cake

This Sunday is my baby's birthday. Well, not so much a baby anymore she's turning two! The theme for her birthday will be "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse"
Photobucket
Her cake will be the clubhouse and I will add pieces to make it look like a scene out of the show. This week I am going to blog my journey making this. I hope it turns out ok.

This birthday party is just to be the 4 of us, so only the body will actually be cake. Had this be a grand affair I would have made the head and ears cake too. Over the weekend I painted styrofoam balls black for the ears and head.

Photobucket

Today, I am going to work on the hot air balloon.

Pt. 2.

Well, the kiddos are upstairs napping so I made the glove for the hot air balloon and I had a little left over and so I made the fire hydrant. I used a 3 1/2 in styrofoam ball and covered it w/ fondant. Then I made the fingers and stuck them onto the hand and made the lines on the glove.

Photobucket

The balloon attached to the basket w/ Donald Duck. I got the figures at the Disney Store. I found little plastic cups and painted one of them red. Attached the wire to the cups, then I wrapped wire w/ yellow string and attached it to the "balloon" and trimmed the strings

Photobucket

Well, it turns out I am an amateur sculpturer. I spent my afternoon working on the feet. And I am quite pleased w/ how they turned out. The pipe on the foot lying down will be removed after it dries.

Photobucket

Well, I had to take a day or two off to get some other stuff done, but I finally have a finished product. It's not quiet how I invisioned it, but I didn't expect to come down w/ a screaming headache last night/ this morning either - so it is what it is.

For the cake I used an 8in dome pan, and covered it in fondant. I couldn't get it red enough, so I mixed some food coloring and some clear vanilla and painted it a darker red. Looks much better.

The fence I cut strips of fondant right off the block and then cut the strips in half and place them around the yard. Then I painted them yellow w/ yellow food coloring and vanilla.

One thing I would change is to get a clear plastic tube for the slide/tail. Fondant is very unstable, and I had to do some patch work this morning, because the tail had fallen down. but, over all I think it turned out pretty cute for my first attempt at this, and The birthday girl loves it, and that's all that matters - right?

Front yard
Photobucket

Back yard
Photobucket

No comments: