Monday, October 13, 2008

Eating Habits

I am such a proud parent. My kids hardly take any notice to junk food and could graze all day on fruits, vegis, cheese and yogurt. They usually eat well at dinner and rarely complain about what's being served. My proudest is when the gobbled up what would be described as an adult dinner. Orange and ginger glazed salmon, long grain and wild rice, and asparagus.

When Naomi was the age Sariah is now we went grocery shopping just before Easter. She ignored all the candies and goodies but when we got to the produce section she went nuts! She wanted tomatos, bananas, apples, pears, grapes. We picked out a nice selection of snacks for her and it was a good thing she was buckled in the cart because she would have turned around and eaten all the grape tomatos. Today, when we go out to eat - her request? A salad, ranch dressing, no onions.

We can't keep fruit in the house the kids gobble it up before you can blink. They do like ice cream, but it's a once a week treat. I hope they continue their excellent eating habits as they go off to school. That's one of my worries, that peer pressure will change how they eat.

Until then, we should probably plant a garden and check out produce stands so we keep their favorites stalked.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Mine love fresh produce too, BUT I do have a hard time getting them to eat full meals. For some reason, at LEAST 1-2 of my children "hate" what I serve on any given night, even if they loved it a couple of weeks ago. My theory is that they're just trying to see if they can make me lose my mind. ;)

Janet said...

Wow! You should be proud! I wish Kade had their eating habits. We have to beg him to eat at all, and it has always been a battle. I hope we can train MK to eat better than Kade! So far she is loving the veggie baby food we are giving her. Kade never even wanted it near him!