Sunday, October 26, 2008

My Favorite Sunday

It varies by ward, but sometime in the fall Primary Presidencies everywhere are under a lot of stress, and for the first time I'm in the presidency (2nd counselor). What causes these women to have nightmares and new grey hairs? It's the annual primary program during sacrament meeting. Anywhere from a few children on up between the ages of 3 and 11 sing songs and recite lines based on the years theme for about 40 minutes This year it's I am a Child of God. One by one each child came up and recited their part. Some spoke so soft the microphone couldn't even pick up a sound, others scream it so loud the microphone shreaks. Others stare blankly at the audience terrified to say a word. During the songs the choir is carried by the older children while the younger ones wiggle and fiddle with anything in reach. In the end everyone breaths a sigh of relief that no one cried or threw up.

My favorite song was a new one we learned for this year. It's called If the Savior Stood Beside Me? Here are the lyrics to the song and a link to the mp3s for all the songs they sung. http://www.lds.org/pa/display/0,17884,7944-1,00.html

If the Savior stood beside me, would I do the things I do?
Would I think of His commandments and try harder to be true?
Would I follow His example? Would I live more righteously,
If I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me?

If the Savior stood beside me, would I say the things I say?
Would my words be true and kind if He were never far away?
Would I try to share the gospel? Would I speak more reverently
If I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me?

If the Savior stood beside me, would my thoughts be clean and pure?
Would His presence give me strength and hope, and courage to endure?
Would His counsel guide my actions? Would I choose more worthily
If I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me?

He is always near me, though I do not see Him there
And because He loves me dearly, I am in His watchful care
So I'll be the kind of person that I know I'd like to be
If I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me.


My 2nd favorite part is when the children sung I Love to See the Temple and did it in sign language. And the best of course is watching my daughter get up and say her part and listen to her sing. She's been so ready. The other day we were out and about and she was singing all the songs to their program. It's the 2nd year she's been able to participate and I am looking forward to the day, two years from now, when Sariah will be up there with her sister. It's the best Sunday, and I love it it more than Christmas, Easter and Mother's Day.

No comments: