I still remember that day. I had just got home from school for a short weeks stay between Spring and Summer quarters. Two letters were waiting for me. One was from my friend Mark who was serving a LDS mission to Portland Oregon, and the other was also from Oregon but the handwriting was different. I opened my friends letter first. Starts out the usual what’s up, how’s things going? Then he mentioned that he just got a new companion and thought we should meet so he gave you my address. The “other” letter was from you. Just the usual introductions. I am intrigued and curious, so I wrote back. You seemed like a nice guy. Older than I am, you got a late start going on a mission. You still had 18 month left of your mission and we continued to write. I didn’t send out letters with much consistency, especially at first. I was finishing up college and having the usual college drama – usually because of roommates. Then I realized I was having feelings for someone I’ve never met in person, having gone down this road while in my mudding days to have it end disasterously I was freaking out. But I sent out a letter telling you so, because I thought I should be honest about it. Three days later I get a letter from you telling me you had feelings for me. There is no way you could have got my letter and sent off a reply in 3 days – our letters crossed paths. We continued to write, and that last quarter I had of school I wrote more to you then I put into my senior thesis. Even though I only sent my letters off ever few weeks or so. What can I say – what I lacked in quantity I made up for it in quality. Seven pages , typed, single spaced, sent out every couple of weeks. My thesis was only 32 pages double spaced.
As we wrote I realized something. Almost 2 yrs before I had this really strong feeling that I needed to be done with school and I needed to be done no more than 2 yrs. My original plans had me in school for at least 3 more years. But I worked it out and I developed a plan that would have me graduate in 2 yrs. Unbeknownst to me at the time, that was when you were leaving for your mission and I needed to be done with school before you got home. I finished just in time. I completed my student teaching the first week in November and you were home by Christmas.
I wasn’t sure what to expect when we met for the first time at the airport. But it just felt natural being with you. We then set out a plan for our wedding date. You went to live with your mom for a few months and worked to save up enough money to move to Utah permanently. In April we found a great job and a nice room for rent nearby. It was a crazy summer planning for the wedding. We were supposed to head downtown to get some things, but decided against it. That was the day a tornado ripped through the city. We would have been there when that happened.
The day of our wedding arrived – 9 years ago today. I was so nervous I wasn’t thinking straight. My matron of honor was driving me to the temple, so I thought , that I didn’t need to bring my wallet, I am not driving I don’t need it. HAHAHA! Our recommend was in it. Luckily my aunt hadn’t left the house yet and was able to bring it to us. We got married and had a nice albeit small reception. Who would have thought that people would rather go dear hunting then come to our reception. Which I would have been fine with had they at least told us, rather than RSVP that they were coming. Oh well, we had food to take home with us so we didn’t have to worry about cooking for a day or two. We honeymooned at home – which was nice – no phones, no work, no people.
It’s been a crazy 9 years. We’ve gone through a few jobs, a few homes, and a few fights. I was a long struggle getting you through school, we got pregnant 3 times during then. The first pregnancy was over as soon as we found out. You were taking a final while I was in the hospital having a D&C. I wonder if God was just testing us to see if we REALLY wanted to be parents, because a few months later we find out we are pregnant with a pretty amazing little girl. We then did the crazy – I was going to be a stay at home mom and you were going to work and go to school full time. Two lean years followed but we knew we were doing what was best for our family. A few weeks after you graduated our little Sariah arrived on the scene determined to not be over shadowed by her older sister. She’s always been able to hold her own. Our children drive us nuts sometimes but I can’t envision our lives without them.
It took a few months but you were able to find a pretty good job even though it wasn’t what you saw yourself doing. After a year of training and speculating they sent us to PA. I prayed for it – if we were to be here we would be. It’s been lonely and hard at times without my family nearby, but we seem to be doing pretty good and holding our own ok.
It’s been a wild 9 years – I don’t know what journey the future will bring, but as long as I am with you, my best friend and my love we will be able to conquer it all. We’ll probably have to ask for directions though. I hope we have at least 50 more anniversaries. I LOVE YOU











4 comments:
Happy Anniversary!!!
So I followed a link from Katy's blog to yours. I was excited because you were one of the people I really liked on BBC. I hope you don't mind me blog stalking a little. :)
Happy Anniversary!
Thanks ladies! Nicole nice to meet you :)
Jenny
That was beautiful, and those pictures are too. What a wonderful love story!
Post a Comment