I will be registering Naomi for kindergarten next week. I was told by a few people that they'll test her, but after talking to the person who actually does K registration told me they don't. So, I asked him what does the school do for kindergarteners who read above grade? He had no idea, but that he would call the school and find out. My confidence is waning. I called the school myself, hoping for a more direct approach, and I was referred to the administrator over registration. I said he didn't know, so they tried to get me in touch w/ the specialist over reading. I left a message and I have not heard back. If I am not going to get phone calls because I have a long distance phone number, (every time I've left a message, no one calls me back) I am going to be pissed.
While I was waiting for that phone call that never came I found a site that rates schools. This district got a 2 of 10! Granted there seems to be improvement, but their proficiency rating is appalling! Less then 40% of HS students passed proficiency for reading. Third and forth are up to 64%. I wish I had other options, but there is only one elementary and one high school in this district, and I can't afford private school. I am feeling so overwhelmed by this, I want to cry. But I will hold out until Monday.
I want Naomi to succeed and be challenged in school, and not be lost because resources need to be diverted elsewhere. I really do want to cry every time I think about this.
Thursday, June 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







4 comments:
I want to wish you luck. My only advice is to keep calling. Have you thought about homeschooling, with her being so advanced it might be a good option. Good luck.
In some districts, if they cannot meet the needs of a child (gifted, special needs) then there is an option of moving the child to another district free of charge so that child has her needs met. Ask your local district about it, maybe you can push for that...good luck. My oldest was the only one reading in her k class, and she was used as a helper, not challenged academically. We found a program in a public school out of our district that is run much more like a private, specialized school for 1st grade (and beyond) it has made all the difference. Maybe there is something like that near you.
You could always insist on giving her an IEP (individual education plan) which is what my mom did with my oldest child. this basically meant that she was able to make sure he was being challenged and his needs being met, even though he was already reading and writing far beyond the kindergarten level. They would just take him in to the 3rd grade classroom to do "English" but he didn't have to be away from his peers for the rest of the day. It was very helpful.
I had the same worries as you when I was putting Carlie in K last year. Some people told me to put her in a year early but I didn't feel she was ready emotionally for K even though she was ready accademically. I have thought SO many times about putting her in the private school that is right down the road from my house when we moved. I have heard that the school that Carlie will be attending isn't as good as the school that she went to for K. I found out that they have scholarship programs for people who don't make a bazillion dollars. The only thing is that with this school, you have to pay upfront and if you get approved, then you get reimbursed for the difference. I just couldn't see giving them a few grand and then her not be approved for reduced tuition kwim? We are going to re evaluate when Jacelyn starts K. Their total tuition at the private school wouldn't be much more than what I paid for daycare for the two of them.
Post a Comment