Way back when I was in elementary school, I remember getting one 15 min recesses in the morning, 20 mins after lunch (longer if you ate fast) then another 15 mins in the afternoon. We also got out early on Fridays. I have discovered that children only get ONE recess after lunch and no getting out early, ANY day of the week. Has education deteriorated so bad, that they are taking away that which helps keep children on task to catch up. Kids need breaks, especially boys. A long time ago I watched this documentary on PBS called "Raising Cain" about raising boys, and they mentioned that boys need recess to get out the pent up energy which also facilitates better learning in the classroom. Add in the rising obesity rates in this country, children need to get physical more then just once a day. I remember playing hopscotch, four square, jump rope, and swinging on the monkey bars all the time.
I know homeschooling isn't the best answer for us, and private school is out of range out here, but our children are not little robots, they need breaks. There will be a time for a stricter schedule in HS and College, but in elementary, especially in the younger grades, kids need to be kids.
Friday, August 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







1 comment:
I agree with this! They do need to get out and moving around! I also believe in keeping the arts in school. Kids need things like music and art!
Post a Comment