Thursday, November 27, 2008

Dinner Accomplished


So, my first solo Thanksgiving dinner turned out well. I admit I was worried at first when I opened up my turkey this morning and the innards were a block of ice. After pouring much cold water down it we were finally able to get it all out. Into the oven it went. I was thinking it wouldn't be done until after 5, but when I checked on it at 4:30 it was clearly done. Next - the mad sprint to get all the sides done. First was candied yams, then peel and cut the potatos and get them boiling. After that, the vegis are put on the stove to boil. Take out the yams, and put on the marshmallows and put them back in the oven. Stuffing and gravy round it off at end. Set table - take a picture and colapse. Mom is now too tired to enjoy dinner. Next if if/when we have a bigger kitchen I'll have D help me out, but our kitchen is so cramped we'd be stepping on each other. It's really the better option to have him watch the kids, while I scramble through the kitchen like . . . well, like a headless turkey. D reminded me how the headless turkeys turn out.

When it was all cleaned up and mom and dad are nearly in a coma from the tryptophan - the kids are buzzing around as if on speed. Note to self - tryptophan has the opposite effect on small children.

Lots of turkey left overs. Turkey sandwiches, turkey pot pie, turkey here, turkey there, turkey in our sleep. I think this is why we only do this once a year. Though I confess to cooking a boneless turkey breast a few times through out the year.

Only 27 shopping days until Christmas.

EEK!

2 comments:

Mel said...

Beautiful dinner!

Donna/Ellie said...

Looks great and sounds like a good first family PA turkey day :)