So this is my first Thanksgiving away from my family. There was that time in college when I was working at the Ski Resort that I had to work ON Thanksgiving day, but we celebrated the day before. So it's always been Thanksgiving with my parents and all my siblings. Even the last few years after my sisters got married They've always been by the house for some part of the feasting. My plan this year was to head out for Thanksgiving and hang out with everyone until just before Christmas, then fly back and have Christmas here in PA. But, plans change. We decided the time was right for us to buy a house. So all plane money is being set aside for the house. In the long run it's the best decision for our family, but it's hard being away.
So today, I'll make a turkey and have the usual fixings, albeit on a smaller scale. We'll eat on our schedule, take our time, have some pumpkin pie later, watch what ever we want . . . hmm, maybe this solo Thanksgiving isn't such a bad idea after all. ;) One thing we have to have is my grandmother's candied yams. It's made with apricots and brown sugar and of course marshmellows. Oh yeah - yams are in there too. They are so yummy they are better than candy. And the yams are good for you right?
I am going to tie this into my Thankful Thursday. I am Thankful for my family. I now sometimes we don't agree and things can be tense. But I can't imagine growing up without them. It's always fun to share and retell all the memories.
I hope my family knows how much I love and miss them. That old song is running through my head - "I'll be home for Christmas - if only in my dreams."
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Thursday, November 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







No comments:
Post a Comment