Friday, November 21, 2008

Oh the weather outside was frightful


A fire right now would be delightful. And since we've no place to go, it can snow, it can snow, it can snow. But it has to stop and the roads cleared in time for D to come home from work.

This is what I woke up to this morning. The first snow fall of the season. It has been trying with flurries all week, but today it finally came down and stuck.

In the year that I've lived in PA I've learned that 2 inches of snow can shut down the city. Schools will close and bridges will be treacherous. This concept is completely foreign to me and I've lived in a state that gets lots of snow. Utah - home of the greatest snow on earth - for skiers. It's mostly fine powder. I've woken up to 8 inches of snow before and the city just goes on as usual albeit a little more carefully. The crazy thing is a dusting of powder is more dangerous then those 8 inches. It will melt quickly from the heat of the cars and turn to ice. A school closing in Utah, especially the Valley is practically unheard of. The snow in Pennsylvania is a very wet snow that will freeze into ice very quickly and when it snows there is a list of schools that are closed or have a late start time.

This first snowstorm we had after we moved in I was like - psst - this is nothing and wanted to run to the store. D on ther other hand who grew up in Virginia cautioned against it. So I didn't go out.

So today we'll stay inside and keep warm. In a few weeks we'll get that fireplace to snuggle up in front of when we move into the house. Until then, warm blankets and hot coco. Yum.

Update this afternoon. We are getting more snow. It's looking pretty miserable outside.

2 comments:

Donna/Ellie said...

Sounds like your new home is like where I live! 2" are a blessing - no school and all shuts down and the news does special reports from morning to night, hilarious! So pretty though, I sure wish we had snow more often.

Jenny/Moravia said...

LOL - Thanks Beth for "setting me strait" Now THAT sounds like home. LOL!