As I was reading this. I was struck with the notion of letter writing. It seems to be a lost art thanks to text messaging and emails. I admit I've even stopped "writing" letters. Which is funny because that's how I met my husband was through letter writing. Though towards the end my letters went from hand written to typed. It just seemed easier to write and read that way. But in the early days of the Church (1830s) there was no telegraphs, no phones, no emails, no texting. The only way you could communicate with someone that was too far to walk or ride too in a day, was to send a letter. Joesph Smith was away from his family a lot. I asked the kids if they have dads that travel a lot or are some times away from them and their family? A few had dads that were far away some times. But they could keep in touch through emails or phone calls. Joesph missed his family a lot when he was away, either because he was doing missionary work or he was imprisioned. Today's lesson was his letters to his wife Emma.
Family members pray for, comfort, and strengthen one another.
To Emma Smith on January 20, 1840, from Chester County, Pennsylvania: “I feel very anxious to see you all once more in this world. The time seems long that I am deprived of your society, but the Lord being my helper, I will not be much longer. … I am filled with constant anxiety and shall be until I get home. I pray God to spare you all until I get home. My dear Emma, my heart is entwined around you and those little ones. I want you to remember me. Tell all the children that I love them and will come home as soon as I can. Yours in the bonds of love, your husband.”
Since my move away from my family I know I am not really alone. I know that my family is always in my heart, and they are praying for us. I wish I could be there with them during the holiday season, but it didn't work out that way. But I am reminded of the song "I'll be home for Christmas. . . If only in my dreams."
The responsibility to teach our children is always with us.
To Emma Smith on November 12, 1838, from Richmond, Missouri, where he was being held prisoner: “Tell little Joseph he must be a good boy; Father loves him with a perfect love. He is the eldest and must not hurt those that are smaller than him, but comfort them. Tell little Frederick Father loves him with all his heart; he is a lovely boy. Julia is a lovely little girl. I love her also. She is a promising child. Tell her Father wants her to remember him and be a good girl. Tell all the rest that I think of them and pray for them all. … Little Alexander is on my mind continually. O my affectionate Emma, I want you to remember that I am a true and faithful friend to you and the children forever. My heart is entwined around yours forever and ever. Oh, may God bless you all, amen. I am your husband and am in bands and tribulation.”My husband always tell the girls just before he leaves "I love you, and be good for your mother" It's sweet that fathers 170 yrs later still tell their children to be good for their mother. Our hearts our intwined forever - truely for better or for worse.
God is our friend, and we can trust Him in our times of adversity.
Some times this is hard you know? Remembering that we can trust God during those times when life is hard and we're down. Some times all it takes is a friend or family member to remind you that God is just a prayer away.To Emma Smith on June 6, 1832, from Greenville, Indiana: “I have visited a grove which is just back of the town almost every day, where I can be secluded from the eyes of any mortal and there give vent to all the feelings of my heart in meditation and prayer. I have called to mind all the past moments of my life and am left to mourn and shed tears of sorrow for my folly in suffering the adversary of my soul to have so much power over me as he has had in times past. But God is merciful and has forgiven my sins, and I rejoice that he sendeth forth the Comforter unto as many as believe and humble themselves before him. … “I will try to be contented with my lot, knowing that God is my friend. In him I shall find comfort. I have given my life into his hands. I am prepared to go at his call. I desire to be with Christ. I count not my life dear to me [except] to do his will."
It's nice to remember that God is there during our times of adversary. It's easy to forget. It's also nice to know that God and family really aren't that far away. You only have to open the lines of communication.







No comments:
Post a Comment