Monday, November 10, 2008

Nap time - or My Funny Little Caterpillar

It's that time again when freedom trumps the body's need for sleep. When there is no need for sleep because you can now get out of your crib, or you've moved into a big kid bed.

We've been dealing with this in our home for the last few months. Sariah has decided that even though it's against her better interest naps are just not for her. When Naomi hit this stage we tried everything to get her to nap. And just having a new baby I desperately needed her to sleep. I thought I was going to loose my mind. We even tried holding her to see if that would get her to sleep. It was a long struggle and she would not be held to sleep. She was like that from birth - never one to be swaddled. Even got chewed out by a nurse because she wasn't at the hospital. Sariah on the other hand. At first it didn't work - I think it was more me - having been jaded by my experience with Naomi. But I tried again. Sometime she fights it, but not nearly with as much vigor nor does it last as long, and as soon as she stops squirming she's out cold in minutes.

Ever since birth she's loved to be swaddled and enjoyed it until we weaned at 18 mos. I would put a blanket down on the middle of my bed, put her in the middle of it, covered us both up and nursed her. When she was done I would get up and wrap her tightly and put her back to bed. I am thinking that the none mos or so was more her just eventually falling asleep and that she's never really given up the need to be wrapped up when she sleeps. She's always been able to keep the covers on her way more often then Naomi ever did. She's also never fallen out of bed either. Naomi did that A LOT.

So, my baby is a caterpillar wrapped tightly in her cocoon when she sleeps. Silly kid.

No comments: