Sunday, December 21, 2008

Moving Day

What a long long day. We got up early in the morning to go pick up our moving Van only to discover that just because you can get a confirmation on line for a van does not actually mean they'll have one available for you. SO - we spent the rest of the morning trying to find another van. We finally found one and we were set to go. We got a bunch of guys froim church to help us move the big and heavy stuff, and I tried to keep the kids out of the way. and pack up a few more things. We didn't do a full move. Just all of we use daily. We've got until the 31 of January to get everything out and cleaned up. We just wanted to be in the house for the holidays. We also wanted out storage shed cleared out before the end of the month so we wouldn't have to pay for another month. I also wanted my Washer and Dryer - which was in the very back corner. So we filled up the van with what we wanted to move, then the guys went to storage to clear that out. I filled up the car with clothes and bedding and a few other things and took the girls to the house. They played in the basement while I unloaded the car.

While I was unpacking my car I heard DRUMS - "Drums" I think? Is there a parade, is the HS band out practicing? Nope - IT'S A FUNERAL PROCESSION! Did I mention at the top of our street is a cemetary? We figured at least the neighborhood would be quiet - right? Back to the procession. There was a limo - followed walking "morners" then a horse drawn hearse - and a small drum line. Followed by at least a mile length of cars! I guess the guys in the moving van missed the limo and hearse, because as soon as they saw a break in the traffic (which according to them was only a few cars) the proceeded up the hill to our house. Now keep in mind there is no off street parking for most of it, so it's pretty much one way with all the cars lining the street. Yep, A procession of cars and a moving van in the middle of it. Someone was not happy and it was stalled as the van backed into our drive way. Van now out of the way the procession continued. Our first place was a stones throw from an active railway line, our next place was near a busy intersection. Our last place wasn't bad but the cigarrette smoke and their cigarette butts all over the grass in fornt of our door from our neighbor, not noisy, but stinky and disgusting. This place is the direct route to the cemetary. I think I can handle the procession of cars, but I hope the drum line is not a standard occurance.

One of the things we noticed as it we were moving in was that it was getting colder, we turned up heat, but discovered the oil had run out, We tried to order some after we closed on the house, but everyone was closed until Monday. We bundled up and put a log on the fire but it was still very cold - nothing like motivation to be to church EARLY! We got a few space heaters from some families in the ward, my bedroom is warm, and the space heater in the living room just isn't enough to heat the large space. So the girls and I will bunker down in my room and D will pile on the blankets and hopefully we'll stay a little warmer tonight. I hope we can the oil in as soon as possible!

Photobucket

No comments: