Friday, December 12, 2008

When Doing a Final Walk Through of a House. . .

The last thing you want to see is water seeping into the basement. Last night despite a crazy rain storm, we drove out to do a final walk through of the house we are buying. Good thing we did!

The upstairs looks really good, except for the fact that when they painted the bathroom they forgot the door. And they painted rather than reglazing the master bath tile, and it doesn't look that great. Thank heavens for shower curtains. (Replacing the tile is now one our short list of things to do. The kitchen looks fantastic, I love it. The counter space is practically a dream. I've never lived in a place that had so much continuous counter space. I hate what we've got now. Two feet, then the sink, two feet then the stove, then 18 inches. There is no room for prep, and it's so crowded. The new kitchen had 6 people standing in it and didn't feel cramped at all. The hardwood floors turned out beautiful. Then we went downstairs. We are going to put our living room stuff and TV down there, because we are going to slowly build it into an really nice family room, bedroom and play area. So we figured that it would be easier to have DirecTV run the wiring down there now, rather than later. It's to terrible down there aside for the lack of ceiling. The wood paneling is ugly and the vinyl tiles are coming up, but it's not unlivable. When we went downstairs to check out the dryer, we noticed a lot of water by the door, thinking it's probably coming in from the door, not terrible, but would need to be fixed. We had our realtor go down with us later only to find that more water was seeping in from the walls. We were standing just watching the water come in. They are going to fix the drain so that water will pour AWAY from the house, but we are going to have to tear out the paneling and drylock the whole wall. Ugh! The dryer vent wasn't put in, and they didn't seem like they were going to and it was something we'd have to do. Um NO! So they will get it done. Not having a dryer would have been a deal breaker for me (see previous post about laundry) I do so much of it that I would go insane if I had to go to the laundromat.

Five days left until closing! I hope it all gets done in time, because I am feeling overwhelmed and stressed.

No comments: